* Michael T?nzer <NEOatNHNG at users.sourceforge.net> [2008-05-08 17:41:55]:

> Florent Daigni?re schrieb:
> > * Michael T?nzer <NEOatNHNG at users.sourceforge.net> [2008-05-08 05:04:07]:
> >
> >> In the last few weeks I've done some work on the website. While
> >> translating it, there were some things that struck me so I changed them.
> >> But our site is still far from perfect. It lacks a attractive design and
> >> some features that would be quite handy (e.g. select the language by
> >> hand, RSS-Feeds, a search) but are a little bit difficult to implement
> >> (at least if we want to do it in a safe and efficient way) or at least I
> >> don't have the time and skills to do it.
> >
> > Select language by hand is trivial to implement and we can delegate the
> > search
> > to google so that's trivial too... okay RSS would require some work
> >

> I know it's not that hard to do but someone actually has to do it.

No one has bothered that's why it hasn't been done.

[snip.]

> > At the moment we are using mantis as a BTS, Wikka as a wiki-engine, a
> > home-maid website and *loads* of custom scripting for almost
> > everything... How do you plan to migrate existing content ?
> >

> The fully custom made site is one of the problems, as we are not experts
> in some of the things we did. I saw that you fixed some security issues
> in our php code today, some issues that dealt with character escaping
> and such things.

The broken code wasn't mine! I have already fixed the exact same bug 3
years ago and someone reintroduced it since then!

We should really have regression tests; even for the website.

> I'm no PHP expert but I think these are things which
> are obvious to a professional php-developer but can completely break our
> security, which means if some <put your favourite intelligence agency
> here> guy used this issue to hack into our server and replace the
> binaries we provide, then this could be rather dangerous for our users.

I'm not a fan of security by obscurity but let's face it: we have fixed
only a few security related bugs in the last few years... Drupal had many
more (and that's logical given that it's a gaz plant compared to our
requirements). Their last release was on the 9th of April and guess
what? It's a security bugfix!

> What I want to say: If you're not absolutely sure about what you're
> doing, leave it to the pros, they know how to deal with it, and we can
> concentrate on what we do best: provide our users with tools to give
> them true freedom of speech.

Go on with that logic... and we end up being dependant on a 3rd party
entity. We left SourceForge because their service wasn't up to our
expectations anymore and at the time there was no good alternative.

> It's probably not possible to migrate in two days but it seems that now
> is a good point to start the process, as Ian mentioned he wanted to
> change the website significantly (this also includes the texts). We
> probably should migrate in a soft way and try it in a test environment
> first. The Website would be a good point to start with because it has
> not so much content on it. The other things could be done step by step,
> or never if we want to keep them (e.g. I'm not quite convinced about
> drupals bug tracker, but there are definitely better wiki engines than
> wikkawiki).

I don't share your views here. Either we switch to a CMS and use it for
everything or we don't.

They are good and bad reasons to switch to a CMS: I don't think that
security is a good one. As you've highlighted, our website doesn't
evolve much and has a long history; that's why it's pretty secure
overall. On the other hand, integration of services into the CMS
is a good reason to make the switch. Find a CMS which has a good
integration with mantis or can import its tickets and then we can
consider a migration seriously. If it was up to me, we would use Trac
and only Trac (for the website, wikki and bug-tracker).

A few weeks ago someone asked me to set a blog engine up (Wordpress), I
did and so far no one used it... We obviously don't want the same thing
to happen with a Drupal, do we ?