* Ian Clarke <ian.clarke at gmail.com> [2008-05-12 23:04:59]:

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Florent Daigni?re
> <nextgens at freenetproject.org> wrote:
> >  I personnaly won't work on it for now. The main point against our
> >  current website is that it's not community-friendly... Let's see if the
> >  community feels involved and will contribute to the presumably
> >  community-friendly sandbox.
>
> Not sure that this makes much sense.  Seems like you are saying that
> unless the "community" builds up the new site so that its better than
> the current site, then the "community" doesn't deserve a better
> website.  Hmm.  To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, "There is no such
> thing as community", its all just individuals.

Heh I'm trying to make things move forward here... sorry if that sounded
rude or inappropriate but yeah... I think we need external help to make
any progress here.

Most of the current contributors are coders and don't have good
web-designing skills ... or don't want to do it.

> Freenet needs a website worthy of a respectable and reasonably well
> funded free software project in 2008, unfortunately it doesn't have
> one right now.

We all agree that the current website sucks.

> Maybe Drupal is the answer, maybe not.  Frankly I'm
> not convinced that migrating to a CMS really solves the big problems
> with the website at all.

Me neither... but Michael suggested it and no one strongly objected this
time. Last time someone did suggest it I was the one who did object...
and let's face it, the website hasn't evolved much since then... so
presumably I might have been wrong.

> Either way, its up to us to come up with a website that newbies feel
> comfortable with.  We've been very lucky with funding from large
> donors over the years, but sooner or later that luck is going to run
> out.  We can't assume that when the Google donation runs out in 6
> months, we will find someone else willing to donate $10k+.  We have 6
> months to build up enough of a userbase that we can get >$3k/month in
> donations reliably, or we can wave goodbye to Matthew's full-time
> attention.  Call me a pessimist, but this project is in big trouble if
> we lose Matthew.
>
> Having an appealing website that efficiently turns newbies into
> dedicated Freenet users (and donors) isn't just some nice thing to
> make us all feel better, its a requirement for the survival of the
> project.

Well what's the solution then? To make Matthew work on the website? to
send a call for help on @announce (possibly a better phrased than mine)?

Shall I forget about the drupal vhost right-now and delete it?