On Tuesday 13 May 2008 20:40, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Michael T?nzer
> <NEOatNHNG at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >  I don't think funding depends on how our website looks, at least not
> >  directly
>
> Not directly, but definitely indirectly.  Funding is proportional to
> the number of users, and the number of users is proportional to the
> number of people  persuaded to use Freenet by the website.
>
> >. I still am not convinced that a Mozilla-like design would fit
> >  our project, although I have to admit there are a few things we could
> >  improve (e.g. a simple summary on top of each page, so the user doesn't
> >  have to read through the whole techspeek).
>
>  I'm not suggesting we need a direct copy of the Mozilla design, but
> we do need to aim for that level of simplicity and friendliness.
>
> >  We never could do a landing page like getfirefox which gives almost no
> >  information on the setup process, because Freenet is not as easily set
> >  up, it's not plug'n'play, you have to adjust a few settings.
>
>  There are situations where some configuration is desirable, but not
> absolutely necessary. Sensible defaults are the key.

There are some questions we need to ask the user post install, however this
should be as easy as possible, and in particular, we shouldn't have to
prepare the user for them on the download page. The user can go back to it if
(s)he needs to because something breaks, of course. And the front page is not
the download page anyway.