On Thursday 08 October 2009 00:49:11 Cl?ment wrote:
> Hello, I felt bored tonight, so I wrote this.
>
> This is just a beginning, but in order to have a good UI, we need to adress
> those questions with all the attention they deserve. In particular, the
> raison
> d'etre (why a new UI?) and the model of the user (what is our target
> audience?).

This is logical.

> FREENET UI
>
> => Raison d'etre:
>
> "To allow the user to access all (or the more of) the services provided by a
> Freenet node.

Or the functionality that they will commonly want to use, with the rest being
provided by third party tools etc?

> Current limitations:
> - A lot of users complain about Freenet being complicated to use

Freenet is complicated, period. Many important things about Freenet are hard to
safely simplify. :(

> - Some menus/sub-menus contain too many elements, when other contain too few

True, but please consider simple mode, new users will not use advanced mode...

> - Some informations presented to the user are complicated, and make him ask a
> lot of questions

If you have any ideas on this, I'd be interested, but in a lot of cases it is
unavoidable...

> - Some informations presented to the user are related to the node's internal
> logic

True, should be avoided in simple mode in general.

> - Feel free to complete
>
> Success criterion (measurables):
> - Users complain far less about Freenet being complicated (Freenet loses its
> image of a complicated software)

Not possible, but some progress can surely be made.

> - Users are capable to accomplish all the action they want in a small time
> (we
> can ask a user to do some action an measure the time it takes for that (both
> in old and new UI), ...)
> - Feel free to complete"
>

> => Model of the user:
>
> General knowledge:
> The user can read/write his own language and perhaps english. He knows how to
> use a computer.
>
> Knowledge in the application domain:
> Weak: the user only knows the basics : some general vocabulary, no technical
> detail. Do not know any specific terms.
>
> Computer skills:
> Basic +: the user knows how to use a computer and may have already used some
> P2P softwares before. Mostly run windows and is used to basic actions.

Seems reasonable.

> Feel free to complete
>
> => Activity modeling:
>
> Here we need to do some polls, ask people on irc, if possible watch them
> using
> freenet. We could also refer to the state of the art: we're not the only p2p
> application, and even
> though freenet is different, I'm sure we could reuse some things.
>
> SO, we need questions to ask in order to know what peoples do on freenet, and
> how they do it. If we can get some scenario from existing users (in our
> target
> audience),
> it would be also great.

So we need more usability testing, we need to look at the UI of other apps, and
we need to find out how people actually use Freenet?