On Sunday 11 October 2009 20:39:48 Juiceman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Cl?ment <cvollet at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This is logical.

> >> Or the functionality that they will commonly want to use, with the rest
> >> ?being provided by third party tools etc?
> >>
> > Sure
> >>
> >> Freenet is complicated, period. Many important things about Freenet are
> >> ?hard to safely simplify. :(
> >>
> > Well, we should find out which things are hard to simplify : are they
> > essential
> > to use Freenet ?
>
> I started coding a "help" servlet for Freenet, accessible if you go to
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/help
> but became discouraged when I had to start worrying about licensing
> issues with copy pasting text from the various Freenet wikis.  My
> original idea was to use the l10n language files to contain the
> information and allow translation, but it is an ugly kludge and would
> only allow translation of English to other languages keeping the exact
> same formatting and wouldn't allow other languages to be expanded
> beyond without editing the code of Freenet itself and not just a text
> file.

Licensing is a pain. However, we are making a new wiki, and we can simply
declare prominently that the wiki is licensed under a particular GPL-compatible
license? Of course then we can't use the stuff on the old wiki, which has no
such license declaration. Thoughts?

I don't see why formatting needs to be a problem however. We have methods to
add strings with substitutions so that both generated text and minor formatting
can be moved around by translators.

> It was my desire that the information be accessible even if a node
> couldn't connect or was in a secluded darknet that couldn't reach a
> Freesite in the main network.

Right.

> A better way I now believe would be to ship html files as part of the
> node, with the node loading the local pages like it was a Freesite,
> only I don't know how to code that.  It also doesn't answer my
> licensing questions.

Yes.