On Thursday 15 October 2009 14:06:52 VolodyA! V Anarhist wrote:
> Matthew Toseland ?????:
> > On Thursday 15 October 2009 07:03:10 VolodyA! V Anarhist wrote:
> >> Cl?ment ?????:
> >>
> >> It may sound strange, but i believe you should have "Don't know" option
> >> here. For many beginning users the distinction between "Freenet" and
> >> "3rd party software using freenet" is quite tricky to understand.
> >
> > Well, we don't bundle anything at present; plugins are conceptually part
> > of Freenet, everything else is third-party software in the sense that you
> > have to download it separately, no?
>
> And newbies still ask questions on Frost using "Frost" and "Freenet"
> interchangeably.
>
> I agree that Frost is "third party software", what i was saying is "There
>  are people who don't know that". But if you are ideologically opposed to
>  "I don't know" option, i'm not going to argue with anybody more than i
>  already have.
>
>                - Volodya

I think you're right. And even if you're not, it doesn't cost anything to add
this option. So we shouldn't argue on this forever.

So, basically, does everyone agree on the process here (i.e. having a poll
showing when running freenet), or not ? If so, we could move forward.

Btw, if anyone have any other comments on this, please share it. I thing that
the current UI is quite good, but we could improve it a lot, and by doing so,
having more people running freenet, and less support on basic question, so
more time to actually improve the core. It's the first time I try to improve
and rethink a major project UI, so if you're interested in this, I could use
some help (and last thing : UI design may not seem really sexy at a first
glance, but it *is* interesting when you're trying to make things right).

PS : @ian, if I understood right, you have some contacts in User experience
field. Do you think it may be possible for them to have a look at what we're
doing when we have something ready, and just before we actually launch it ?