For what it's worth, I'm guessing that if you are trying phone numbers from
around the world, you are getting these phone numbers from VOIP services
and they aren't actually linked to a physical phone that you control, which
is kind of exactly what GitLab is trying to block...

I don't claim that GitLab's system is perfect or ideal, but the point is
that they are giving anyone who signs up free resources, and they have a
lot of trouble with abuse of their resources.  In order to get access to
those resources, you need to be willing to disclose enough information to
them for them to feel like you are a low risk (because, if you started
abusing their system, you'd be "burning" the good will of your identity).

-Jon