On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/2013 05:58 AM, Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau wrote:
>> Since Enterprise embeds Workspaces by default since 5.2-m2, I think it does
>> not make any sense to release XWiki Manager (XEM) anymore.
>>
>> The build is currently broken (because of the XAR organization changes).
>>
>> So I propose to remove XWiki Manager:
>> - stop releasing it
>> - move the github repo to xwiki-contrib/retired
>> - update manager.xwiki.org to explain the changes in XWiki 5.2.
>> - move the manager jira to the retired category
>> - remove the build in ci.xwiki.org
>>
>> Here is my non-binding +1.
>>
>> LM
>
> -1. This is very premature, the new workspaces haven't been available
> for a long enough time to be sure it is a good replacement for XEM.
>
> Do workspaces fulfill all the needs of existing XEM users?

XEM became a workspaces manager in 3.3 (see
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XEM-202) so there is nothing new here.
The only difference between the new XE and XEM is that wiki manager UI
is not included while it was hidden in XEM so it's not a big change
for users since it's super easy to install with Extension Manager.

XEM is and always been pretty much only a set of pom.xml files with
dependencies and not much more than a home page. Guillaume moved
Workspaces from XEM to XE making XEM pretty much useless now.

> Does the new implementation offer support for the Farm usage?

You can install Wiki Manager UI using Extension Manager.

> Is there a clear migration path? Manual or automatic?
>
> Is the new wiki management UI going to be at least as easy to use as the
> old one? What's the learning curve for administrators?
>

> If the build is broken, it's easier to fix it than to upset a large
> userbase. Why do we insist so much on maintaining backwards
> compatibility for Java APIs that we're almost certain nobody uses, yet
> we're OK with dropping an entire product without a proven alternative,
> hoping that in one or two more releases that alternative will actually
> be fully implemented?

The point here is that the alternative is XE. We don't remove XEM
because the build is broken... It simply does not worth the effort to
keep it anymore since XE expose the same features.

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Thomas Mortagne