On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> > Hi, Vincent,
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Edy,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your input, see below.

> very
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > order
> > >
> > > I’m just reacting to this part, hence the snipping :)
> > >
> > > For me approach 1 is both the complex approach by far and completely
> > > unwiki-like. The wiki way is to be able to make easy edits and be able
> > > rollback, see diffs, etc. That’s natural and fast. That’s why wikis are
> > > great and this is what we do everywhere in XWiki, including
> > configurations
> > > since all configs are stored inside wiki pages (XWikiPreferences,
> > *Config,
> > > etc). And we’re not going to change that now.
> > >

> > You missed something from those snips where I explained the way I saw
> this
> > and what might cause some confusion:
> >
> > "IMO, the important part to distinguish the fact that the configuration
> > part (for a regular, non-dev) is choosing *which* color theme to use,
> while
> > the customization (i.e. coding, done by someone that understands
> CSS/LESS,
> > in this case) part is editing/customizing your own version of a color
> > theme."
> >
> > i.e. Themes are not configuration, but actual code.
> >

> That is actually sad. We already have the "Skin" concept as the "complex
> stuff people are not supposed to touch". As opposed to this, I have always
> seen the "Theme" as the "little stuff you can change easily to change some
> color of the big skin". I agree that themes can now contain a bit of "less"
> code. But if both Skin and Themes are seens as "complex stuff regular users
> should not change (because it's code)", it's very sad for the
> user-friendlyness, and it's probably time to make things better.
>
> Copying a theme when someone wants to edit is indeed breaking the wiki
> workflow and it's again something complex. I would prefer a simple button
> in the theme to "revert colors to factory default".

Yeah, you're right. Themes do go almost entirely into a configuration
domain rather than a code domain, specifically since they have dedicated UI
for each configurable variable. The LESS part is more for advanced stuff
that a regular user would normally ignore.

So it would more about configuring which "demo" configurations you want to
use.

Thanks,
Eduard