Stéphane,

I agree that GeoJSON would be a much portable and standard option. I went
with the structure I implemented because I was directly working with
leaflet docs.
I have one concern though and that is the flexibility of GeoJSON. By
flexibility I mean that it will be harder for XWiki users to get used to
the GeoJSON as opposed to the "points" and "options" properties of
ShapeClass. Nonetheless, I am going with the GeoJSON now.

Best,
Fawad