Just to support the point made below about Dia as a component of a wider
workflow. The ability to extract the definition data from a diagram easily was
the major reason I chose to use Dia. The python interface is simple and exposes
all the content in a clear object oriented way. I looked at Visio but the
interface was horribly complex to understand.

I hope Dia continues to survive ...

Rob