On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Fair enough, I shall wait.  If I were in the position to lend some code,
> I certainly would!
>
> From a futures perspective, I would vote against smart-routing of lines
> as implemented in Visio.  It has been my experience that the smart router
> is more of a bother than a help; I'd much rather place the lines myself
> and not come back to find that the tool as rearranged them for me.  This
> is particularly annoying when one makes a slight move to one object and
> the router then disturbs a number of unrelated connections.  If you do
> build such a router, perhaps it could be an option that could be enabled
> or disabled by the user.

I would certainly want a lot of manual control over such a system.  I
imagine something like this:  With Autorouting turned on, Dia finds an
"optimal" route when a line is created.  After that, the line is normal.
Then you can choose to re-Autoroute them later.  Also, there are probably a
bunch of parameters to the routing algorithm that you could twiddle with.
Even if we do have 'continuously autorouted' objects, there should probably
be a treshold of change before they are re-routed.  Thus it wouldn't
reroute until the current route 'looks' really bad.  But until we have a
routing algorithm, we can't really say much about this.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg