First, in my EE work, jumps are old fashioned.  Instead, crossed lines means
no connection, whereas a T with a dot means a connection.  Full crosses with a
dot are ambiguous:

    -------|--------    no connection

    -------o--------    connection

    -------o-------     ambiguous

Second, autorouting is a tough problem.  There is a general field of graph
layout, with ideas like springs, swimlanes, etc.  "dot" is a candidate.  Also,
it is akin to path-plannning (as in robotics), with treatment of constraints,
A* algorithm, et al.  So it is a worthy challenge for someone, sometime.  I
just want Dia to handle the normal stuff for now.  And to get my hands on the
python scripting stuff (which is where anything like autorouting should be
done).

--
Harry George
[EMAIL PROTECTED]