On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Alan Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi, i have started playing around with Dia, and well haven't used Visio all
> that much.  Anyways, i was a bit intrigued with the autorouting topic. When
> someone is saying autorouting, are we talking about placing/routing or just
> routing.  As someone mentioned... the program "dot" goes through a lot of
> effort trying to make a "good/eye pleasing" placement for a logical grouping,
> the easier part of it is routing i believe.

I am not going to accept any code that is based on dot's algorithms.

The licence is very much non free.  It states that some (unamed) portions
of graphviz are covered by (unamed) AT&T patents.  And the dot licence is
the only one under which we could use those patents.  This would mean
distributing dia as a patch to graphviz and giving AT&T a completely non
restrictive licence to our code (which is not going to happen, given this
is a GPL'd project).

James.