Hi, i have started playing around with Dia, and well haven't used Visio all
that much.  Anyways, i was a bit intrigued with the autorouting topic. When
someone is saying autorouting, are we talking about placing/routing or just
routing.  As someone mentioned... the program "dot" goes through a lot of
effort trying to make a "good/eye pleasing" placement for a logical grouping,
the easier part of it is routing i believe.

So if autorouting is simply having objects placed on the screen and you want
connections automatically made, then that's relatively simple.  I've written a
VLSI router before (and am currently).  In terms of someone's comment about
magic, i wouldn't even go there since it's way too directed.  For dia, i don't
think we'll be needing congestion mapping, global routing then detailed routing
and besides having all sorts of design rule violations.  We can have some
spacing rules, but you don't need all the types of things that magic provides.

The only thing that dia complicates is the ability to have non-rectangular
routes, so your dealing with a purely academic type of shortest path.  I'm used
to manhattan type routing where routes need to be 90 degree turns.  This
complicates things in terms of the intersection calculation routines, blockage
detection.  The graph can stay the same though.

Anyways, i was just looking for a clarification.  thanks.

Alan Gonzalez