I regret that I do not understand what is being argued here.. Are we for or
against corporate success or marketing or what have you?..

>From the point of view of "Development" and technology for it, I would
rather look at what gets achieved in terms of helping those who need help to
get included in the "progress" that we achieve as a global society and
create possibilities to make it more inclusive. If marketing does that,
isn't that something we want? Marketing is but an instrument to extend the
frontiers of progress. And we can also see it as an instrument of mopping
profits. Much depends on how we see it.

Any laptop will reside on top of an existing infrastructure and OLPC XO does
not need anything more than what you and I need to access the world of
technology enabled communication. In fact, what it needs is less than
required for the world we seem to know a bit  better as it has been designed
to address and overcome those questions of infrastructure and other
deficiencies.

How does "corporate success" enter this discussion? If the ideas of
technology for education and bridging the digital divide do converge, how do
we want to achieve them? OLPC is a creative institution and having created
the product would ideally like the world to take the next step of embracing
and deploying it. However, how many of us can site a product, regardless of
how needed and responsive to people's dream it may have been, really went
beyond the its confines without a comprehensive marketing strategy? It will
be educative and illustrative in this context.
It has been successful in Uruguay and you may like to call it developed as
well as Peru where the infrastructure is spread out thinly. It has succeeded
at the pilot level in the villages of India where electricity may be
available for a couple hours a day and it works where solar power is usable.

As regards employment, would you recruit a high school kid who began
learning on screen, using both the Windows and Linux from the first grade or
someone who began touching the keyboards after passing out of school?

Thanks much
Satish Jha