While I do agree the increasing power of the mobile technology, and it would
change many aspects of how learning would take place eventually in the world as
price drops.

The reality today is not so simple. Many in the underserved or rural areas
hardly have anything close to even old computers not to mention about having
access to latest models of mobiles.

Moreover, the need is now not the future. Today we have to look what is
suitable for the little funds that these developing countries to which OLPC is
addressed at.

First we teach them how to walk before we teach them how to run.  Get first a
practical solution and to us a practical solution. A mobile , its small size
actually is not suitable for general education although it would be good for
communications.. the other aspects of closing the digital divides.

Ours we are talking about bring affordable education to the rural poor who has
nothing.
Even free reburbished old computers will do wonders.. provided of course the
contents can be made available without the cost of broadband or even long
download times of dialups.

Today, practically everyone from individuals to UNESCO etc has overlooked this
crucial factor. ... the ability to deliver contents...not the hardware it is
the software.

Until such is addressed, the digital divides we talked about will remain. It is
not the hardware, it is the software.

In Malaysia, we have companies and govt spending millions upon millions , and
our annual budget exceeds RM31 billion(nearly US1 billion) per year in
education for a small nation of only 27 million with good infrastructures), yet
we hardly see any headway in ICT in mass education succeeding.

We have major public listed companies undertaking bouth CD and online flash
educational programs with highly trained experts.. .all gone bust in double
quick time. Not one .. two went belly ups trying to us flash based online
systems .. in Malaysia a quite well advanced nation in ICT.

Now if we are to bring these kind of solutions to poor African countries...
gosh how they can ever succeed I would really wonder.  Using mobile? How can
the small screen be used in used other than maybe able to click "yes or no"
buttons. To use OLPC for each child...dont ever believe it will work in
developing countries.  Just do the maths.

Alan
www.paperlesshomework.com
An elearning solution for rural areas where online/CDs cannot reach.

Get the latest happenings through paperlesshomework tool bar
www.paperlesshomework.communitytoolbars.com