In a message here filled with much good sense Tom Abeles says this:
<<We need to rethink educational models first and formost rather than
thinking about mapping click space technology into brick space thinking.>>

We might begin by trying to understand why radio, television, film--all the
earlier technologies that promised to reform education--have failed to make
a difference in what goes on in those "brick spaces" that Tom talks about.

Winston Churchill said this: "We shape our buildings, and then our buildings
shape us."

That is: the school building and its classrooms and lecture halls is not
merely a container that can house instruction organized around the computer
or radio or television as easily as it can accommodate teacher-led
instruction: the building--Tom's "brick space"--shapes what goes on within
in it. Anthony Giddens says spatial arrangements are "constitutive". The
school building, then, is not a neutral container that can house any kind of
instruction, but is a decisive and determining factor in the shaping of
teaching and learning.

Tom proposes abandoning the present building-centered school.

We may need a transitional strategy.

One possibility might be a 3-2 system. Children go to the school building
three days a week to learn from teachers and each other through
conversation, dialog, and the older pedagogies, without technologies, or
perhaps with the help of radio and television if the teacher is comfortable
with them. The other two days might be spent with computers: at home, if the
home has a computer--perhaps using a pen drive, as "Paperless" suggests--or
using a "community computer" which might be in a telecenter, or a library,
or in the school building.

The growth of "open universities," with all instruction at a
distance,suggests that some day Tom's vision of a "school without walls" may
be  practical. We might want to go there in stages rather than all at once.

Steve Eskow