From: Satish Jha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [DDN] PhD research on OLPC
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group"
<digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net>
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 5:41 PM

Its a very interesting discussion that may find a definitive answer rather
elusive.. Going by some more recent experience, at least having forgotten
the warts of my own schooling the way they may have seemed then, I am glad
to share the experience of my more recent encounters with early schooling,
call it primary, secondary etc..or whatever works..

The students who are able to use the net, particularly wikipedia, find that
their teachers are living in another era in terms of expression, what they
reward and the guidelines they follow.. that creates a conflict between the
two worlds children live in and feel helpless at the hands of their teacher
who they perceive more as a tormentor.. This is more true of over-achievers
than the rest.. but the feeling seems more generalized..

The over-achieving students while doing well still find the method of
teaching a huge pain, a burden rather than an aide..

They can learn a lot better with more flexible style, curriculum etc if they
need to go for "learning learning", even more so in the context of
using
OLPC, with rather suggestive monitoring rather than imposition and knowledge
being thrust upon them..

Technologies have made it possible for students to learn 100% of what they
need to rather than depending on a selective knowledge to be certified
having graduated.. We do not seem to have begun using them..