Again, I say nonsense, though you are correct about the Digital Divide discussion boards not displaying at all in NS4.x (faux pas!!).

You're talking about Web sites displaying improperly and I'm talking about software working. My point is that the software works, it just hasn't been modified to display very well.

I logged into my blogger account just fine with NS4.7. It doesn't look as pretty, but it does work. Actually, I am rather impressed with blogger.com in this regard. I even kept the style sheets on in there and it wasn't an issue. Looking at my Blogger site with *the style sheet turned off*, it works and my content is there (with style sheets enabled, it is a mess I'll admit).

What I suggest is coding pages so that the CSS isn't even picked up by older browsers, something that hasn't been done by any of those sites you listed. That's why those pages look so bad in NS4.x. It isn't that they don't work, it's that they simply display the information poorly. I can't stress that enough. Perhaps an issue has been created where there is none. There's an easy way to avoid all this and give anyone a voice online who wants it.

In your Netscape browser, if you go to Preferences >> Advanced, make sure that "Enable style sheets" is not selected and you'll find your browsing experience much more to your liking: plain and unstyled, but operational. I logged into my WordPress installation just fine and even visited their site without incident. In fact, I visited all the sites you listed and, with style sheets not enabled, they displayed the content very well (I couldn't get myblogsite.com up; maybe it was down for repairs or something). Those sites are all coded nicely and display the unstyled content as they should.

Perhaps that's really all that needs to be done to go a long way with this problem. Just turn off the style sheets! That's it!? That's it. Now, even those using NS4.7 can blog (that's the lowest version I have around here; I can only assume that this will be true with NS4.5 and 4.6, but test it for me). No technology disempowerment or anything.

I stand by my original comments (the "nonsense" bit included) and reply: "anyone on the other side of the digital divide who wants to easily communicate with others via the internet" can do so simply by turning off style sheets in their browser and that's easy to do.
-todd seal