Helo Satish, Taran, Chakrabarti,Chris, Tom & All,
  By now we understood $100 Laptop is not a single handed job! It needs every
tuches,  numerous supports, namely technological, economical, social etc. The
way our discussion developing step by step, hope the day is not far off, $100
Laptop is not a mere dream!!

  Sadeque

Tom Brough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Cindy Lemcke-Hoong wrote:
>>

>> Right now, I think 64 Meg of storage space should be sufficient, if only
>> the texts were available in an electronic format. And that is the point
>> that quite a few people have been making throughout the $100 laptop
>> debate, as well as the debate on any technology... where's the material?
>>
>> And why are we building machines when we don't even have the material?

If you mean lack of "free" content provision perhaps:

http://www.gutenberg.org/
and
http://www.wikipedia.org/

There are also numerous other science archives that give content freely,
but these are the two big "free" content providers / generators that
come to mind instantly.

Guttenberg have always provided there texts in text (ascii) format,
making it compact, efficient and free, so long as Disney (and others
who's name I refuse to advertise but have the biggest law firm in
Redmond begins with an M ... you know who I mean) dont keep lobbying
governments to extend copywrite indefinately, simply to stop people
copying micky..... As far as I am concerned, they can keep him ;-)

I have used vi and less to read these from the command line on an old
386 16Mb ram IIRC... tad overpowered for the job if you ask me , but
then Im a geek.

But I accept your point, there are plenty of websites that lock away
valuable content until such time as a fee is paid. I guess thats what
you get for allowing commercial interests to take over the world wide wait.

Oh dear i feel like a DRM trauma brewing ......

Tom.