They're still a little overpriced, given history, at Amazon and - quite
infrequently - EBay, but no longer through Sony. I just checked and there
are some at the $75 level, and many at $150, which I think is too much. My
bet is that there is SOMEBODY at Sony who (a) knows of a corporate adoption
that (s)he'd like to convert to Sony/Ericson phone or (b) could find a cache
of overstocked and fully depreciated, ready for a non-traditional adoption.
My own is a PEG-NX70V/u, with a PEGA WL100 wifi card, and it was
particularly the NX and NZ series that had this extraordinary range of
capability.

And Steve's right that they are heavy and bigger - but ONLY to the sleekest
of IPODs. For that matter I've also got an old Newton that makes the Clie's
look very sleek indeed.

When I taught delinquents in lockup, the clie was perfect - it was both
enough "gee wiz" to exceed the capacity of the clunky desktops available
and, with sound and video recording, had just the right capacity to catch
kids doing what they thought no one saw - their work! I could lend it to
them for writing and check their speed at tetris.

The value of these older toy-like palms is that they can do so much more
than some of their successors, even if they do it less well. With a
keyboard, the Clie is almost a laptop; with a wifi card, it's almost a
phone; plugged into a projector, it can play powerpoints or MP3's. And it is
very sturdy, uses micro power, and recharges superbly.

Finally, although Negroponte's got tenure at MIT, I can't think of a
hardware or software need that a $100 computer would fill that couldn't be
done better by this old warhorse. It may not be the sleekest linux box, but
it's got lots more than an IPOD.

Joe