Am 07.05.2012 01:12, schrieb James Miller:
I'm currently building a site in vibe and love it. There are still a few
bugs around, and a few useful features to come, but I've been patching
and writing features as I go, so its all good.

I am curious about your policy on big features though, I have been
working an implementation for using forms simply. Its nowhere near being
ready for release yet, but is it the kind of thing you'd want as a
module, or as a part of the main vibe codebase? There are also a lot of
more producing-friendly features that could be done (IOW, allowing
fine-grained configuration of server params, and supporting 8 different
load-balancing schemes is great, but doesn't help me produce a
website...), would they be mostly modules, or more core parts?

--
James Miller

I think one of us (Jan) has something for better form handling locally, not yet committed, and I would count that as something that would still fit well into the core package. But in general, I think the number of features should not grow too much anymore - the core should contain all that is necessary for _most_ applications and that with an interface that is as comfortable as possible.

The main scope of modules, I would say, are higher level features, features that are not as widely used or those which provide alternatives to the functions in the core library. Basic, common functionality, however, is always a candidate for the core (OAuth(2) is on the way for example).

Another - quite banal - criterion could be if we would actually use a feature ourselves, at least a bit; simply because if we don't use it, we cannot test it without further time investments and it could be unclear (to us) how well such a component actually works (e.g. wrt. stable releases). Also, the implementation/API style of a feature should match the rest of the core library. The MySQL driver would be an example that currently fails both criterions and thus is a module.

Maybe it would also be good to establish a defined procedure such as: New features are implemented as modules first and after a review it's decided if they should go in for the next release. I don't have a real opinion on this yet and I'm basically completely open for suggestions.