On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 12:36:42 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Chris:

Nested for loops with if-statements can be hard on the eye in Python, because you have to go back an double check on which level you actually are

If you use the standard 4 spaces indentations and you don't have ten indentation levels this problem is not common. Some persons also avoid your problem with an editor that shows thin vertical lines every 4 spaces (but only where the lines are actually reaching that length).

and the fact that one missing white space (a typo after deleting a line) screws up the whole script is just annoying.

It's a small price to pay for increased code readability. And if I see one missing white space in D code, I fix it right now, so there is not a lot of difference.

The Python indentation terror is a peculiar personal preference enshrined in the language's syntax. It's simply not my style.

Curiously the Python significant syntax was the motive for me to start using Python in the first place, years ago. I was looking right for that, being fed up of begin-end, curly braces, and those code reading mistakes I was talking about.

Bye,
bearophile

Although Python gets bashed a lot due to this issue, it is not the only language doing that. Haskell, OCaml and F# have similar rules.