On 2015-12-16 10:19, John Colvin wrote:

How exactly would it do that? I guess it could parse some output from
dmd to check that it's looking in the right directories, that would be a
nice enhancement.

Not sure, but for one thing, don't put any files any global directories. That is, don't put dmd.conf in /etc, don't put phobos in /usr/lib and so on.

How does it do that?

It adds DMD to the beginning of the PATH environment variable and doesn't rely on any global files.

DVM seems useful if you really need multiple versions of DMD installed,
but in general I don't like having a special installer tool for each
piece of software, each with its own way of doing things.

I can see the point of that. But with the current update rate of D and the fact it breaks my code in each single release, I think being able to have multiple versions of DMD installed is crucial.

Another advantage is that DVM is cross-platform. If you're using multiple platforms you can use the same way to install DMD on all the platforms.

--
/Jacob Carlborg