Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Heh, very true. Of course, both sides could learn a bit from the other. Sometimes the newest/fanciest/most-popular has loads of drawbacks that the kids just don't have the experience to notice, and sometimes those more experienced end up blinded to things that may very well be true improvements.

Of course! Any good dev team has a mix of the old geezers and the young whippersnappers.

My most advanced PC here is a 1.7GHz Celeron. It does what I need it to do, and I'm happy with it. Lately I've found myself shaking my head at the "young-uns" these days that feed hundreds of dollars into their rigs annually just so they can play the latest games sitting at some desk instead of a nice comfy living room couch and TV. And then they get into software development and wind up inadvertently (or even deliberately) targeting their own super-powered systems and wind up creating the world's biggest bloatware. (And don't even get me started on iPods, "tricked out" cars and the current generation of gaming consoles.)

I get a laugh out of the silly little cars with fake add-on spoilers, "racing" steering wheels and fart exhaust systems. When I was 15, a friend of mine got his first car, a $600 beat up '67 Mustang with a big V8 in it. He took me for a ride and floored it. It was like being launched off an aircraft carrier. I was hooked for life. You kids today have no idea <g>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIA2-Y9HQk&feature=related

But as far as *make vs the newer make-replacements, I just got fed up *make years ago in very much the same way I got fed up with C++. So I was looking for replacements and found the D language as well as SCons and AAP (Ok, so technically it's "A-A-P", but dagnabbit, I'm gonna call it "AAP" in just the same crotchety way I spell "Haxe" with a lower-case "x" and pronounce it "Hacks" instead of "Hex").

I keep seeing that as "AARP", the outfit that has started sending me letters to get me to sign up :-(