Saaa Wrote:

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote in message
> >>
> >> But that would go like this: install eclipse, check how to compile under
> >> Linux and start programming.
> >
> > Nope :o). When you'll figure why not, that's where the fun starts. I'm
> > sure you know about the phenomenon "writing Fortran in C" etc. Installing
> > eclipse and starting programming as you would under windows would be a
> > moral equivalent. (Not that I would advise against using eclipse, which I
> > also like.)
> >
> > Andrei
>
> Then, how should I start, or: where do I learn how I should start? :D

That's a really tough question. To use unix effectively requires relearning a
lot of things. You have to relearn how to do little things, usually without a
mouse, and then start putting it all together.
For example, as an emacs user, I can easilly program for an hour without
touching my mouse.

The problem with GUI interfaces is that common things are easy and uncommon
things are impossible.  One unix tool you will use over and over again is grep.
As a commandline utility, it can be combined with other stuff such as ls, sort,
grep, sed, awk, etc... I don't know if I'd start there though...