On 2012-11-10 12:30, Alix Pexton wrote:

What a coincidence, I just installed VirtualBox and was looking for
advice on what distro of linux to install...

All I want to be able to do with my VM is be able to build GDC for my
RasPi (via all the hoops that are necessary to get cross compilation
working), not bothered about any GUI stuff or bells/whistles,
suggestions for a good distro to go with are welcome!

Ubuntu 12.04 was working perfectly fine for me. Another alternative could be Linux Mint. I haven't used it myself but I heard it's basically Ubuntu with less bells and whistles, i.e they're not using the Unity GUI.

http://linuxmint.com/

--
/Jacob Carlborg