On 11/11/2012 02:50 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-11-10 17:14, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

Ubuntu 12.10/gnome classic works well enough; just turn off compiz. I
tried mint and ran into trouble while compiling llvm. make gobbled
memory for a while, and then the desktop restarted itself (I guess?).
All my windows: gone.

I manage to turn of compiz but I don't know if I made some bad choices
in the process because now I only have the desktop. No left or top bar.

Ouch. Looks like what I should have said is gnome classic (no effects), and I guess compizconfig didn't actually turn anything off. Also, I'm working from a clean install, so that might account for behavior difference.

It still sucks, though. Found myself wishing I had installed server instead.