On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 20:32:42 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 10:29:55 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
Second point is about merging master into staging - why not just rewrite it with master branch altogether after each release? master is the branch with correct history (all new stuff is rebased on it) thus new staging will have that too.

Why you don't rewrite is because it is a public branch. Unlike feature branches which will basically be thrown out everyone on the development team will need to have staging updated. If we rewrite history then instead of

$ git pull staging

At random times it will be (I don't know the commands and won't even look it up)

It just won't be pretty.

I've made modifications to the graphic hoping to illustrate some thoughts.

http://i.imgur.com/rJVSg.png

This does not depict what is currently described (in terms of branching). But is what I've written under http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process#Release_Schedule

I see patches going into the LTS-1 (if applicable), the LTS-1 is then merged into the latest LTS, which is merged into any active staging, that is then merged into master.

The monthly release don't get bug fixes (just wait for the next month).

I've removed some version numbering since I don't know if we should have a distinct numbering for LTS and Monthly. I've already give some thoughts on this: http://forum.dlang.org/post/ydmgqmbqngwderfkl...@forum.dlang.org

Can we drop the LTS name ? It reminds me of ubuntu, and I clearly hope that people promoting that idea don't plan to reproduce ubuntu's scheme : - it is not suitable for a programming language (as stated 3 time now, so just read before why I won't repeat it).
 - ubuntu is notoriously unstable.