On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 21:58:12 UTC, foobar wrote:

Personally, I think the whole pre-development stage needs to get looks at - Specifically having some sort of at least high-level *binding* planning - road map, mile stones, todo lists. This should give more weight to DIPs. DIPs at the moment have no weight whatsoever. The attributes showed all the major flows in the decision making process:

1. Feature idea comes up in discussion.
2. Feature was discussed heavily by the community reaching some design consensus. 3. Plan is abandoned/forgotten due to Walter's objections - not to the design but the idea itself. 4. Feature comes up again in discussion, thus returning to point 1 above in infinite loop.

A big fix is in order there too, it's actually what should be fixed first but from what I've seen going on in here if we can get something even basic implemented for the development and releases that will be a *huge* step forward. Once we have some kind of formalized process in place and prove to everyone how much better things are because of it, it'll be a first by the looks of things, and from that experience the other big holes will become easier to pick out and deal with.

I think we have to keep it simple for now, focus on a dev, staging, release process, implement something, work out the bugs, get people used to having it, and prove the value, then we can get on with tackling the other major issues in a similar way.

There's lots of room for improvement ahead, but we need to make at least one significant step forward in a successful way before we can hope to move on to the next one.

--rt