On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 23:43:12 UTC, Joseph Cassman wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 21:30:44 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

I agree with one "stable" branch.

Andrei

Just some food for thought.

In the section about the "Branching model", the wiki currently has a staging branch in addition to the master branch. From what I understand, the idea seems to be to vet a release on staging until it is considered production level and then marked as the release.

Another idea could be to keep the quality of the master branch at a high level so as to be able to branch into a release at any time, directly from master. Before feature branches are merged back into master, their quality is vetted so the quality of master is maintained.

I prefer this one. It's simpler, less to memorize. Staging area complicates things. I propose to go for a yearly release of the stable branches with one year support (In the beginning). So development needs to be of super high quality once a year.

This idea seems similar to what is used for the vibe.d project (http://vibed.org/temp/branch-model-small.png). My apologies if I misunderstood their process.

It looks like Xamarin has been using this process for a while and it seems to be working for them. http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Oct-14.html

Joseph