On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:53:04 UTC, Manu wrote:
On 12 April 2013 17:30, Vladimir Panteleev <vladi...@thecybershadow.net>wrote:

On Friday, 12 April 2013 at 07:22:42 UTC, Manu wrote:

I agree that spawning processes is a low-frequency operation, but it's a
principle I'm trying to illustrate here.

My point was that it is not that it's low-frequency, it's that the OS process creation operation is so expensive, that a few memory allocations will not make much of a difference in comparison. It's the same as optimizing memory allocations in a program which is intrinsically disk- or
network-bound.

Which OS are we talking about?
What OS runs on an a Nintendo Wii? There's only 24mb of system memory in
that machine, can we afford to allocate it frivolously?

Will I avoid phobos as a policy? Yes.

Do you create process at all?

I always had the impression those environments used real time OS like libraries and multitasking is achieved by co-routines or threads, not real processes.

Just a dummy comment from an industry outsider.

--
Paulo