On Monday, 27 May 2013 at 03:32:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
doc.ddoc is the general skeleton file for defining the online documentation. html.ddoc contains HTML-specific macros only, without having anything to do with our site's specific format.

For greater clarity, html.ddoc will produce a generic, HTML-compliant file. In contrast, doc.ddoc will add all of the dlang.org-specific decorations and boilerplate?

That being the case, would it make more sense for me to upgrade html.ddoc to HTML5 (since it's in candidate rec status over at W3C)?