On Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 22:16:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
I don't see how we lose anything by having conferences like this.

There is possibly an opportunity cost: I'd be willing to work significant time on D stuff, directed by the community, for a year if paid the $30,000 we raised on kickstarter, and perhaps even use spaces instead of tabs in the code [!!!] and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

But the conference(s) may end up being worth more than contracting some programmers, so it isn't necessarily a loss.