On 26/09/2013 07:59, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-09-25 18:14, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

But this is all for development-time usage. To have the same tool try to
be an executable installation manager is another thing entirely and, in
my opinion quite ill-suited for dub (see related OP). Where did this
idea even come from??

If dub doesn't install packages, why the h*ll should I use it in the
first place? I can just use the system package manager.

Are... you... serious?... O_O

There are incredibly important benefits for development-time usage.
To automatically fetch the required dependencies, making sure they are correct for you application. Easily upgrade the version of dependencies? Support multiple build configurations (including for example unittest runners)? Supporting all the previous functionality in a way that is replicable across different machines? Have other tools such as IDEs understand the source and build structure of your application/project/library??

System package managers don't support this because they are not cross-platform. Even if cross-platform wasn't an issue, there might still be several shortcomings or inadequacies with OS package managers because they are more often geared torwards end-user installation, not development-time usage.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer