On 11/16/2013 7:22 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
On 11/15/2013 08:32 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

It's not that bad. Phobos can be built by specifying all the files on
the command line.

That's the essential trade-off we have to make.
Either we come up with a clumsy way to list all DLL modules during compilation
(separate compilation) or we add some compiler logic to auto-import exported
data symbols. In the latter case compiled object files can be used for a DLL AND
a static library.
We found the second approach to be more attractive.

Why? dmd is very fast at compiling. I'm not sure what is being saved here.

The only issue is that most of the time one wants to strip exports when using
objects for a static library.

That's a pretty big issue (to me, anyway).