On Tuesday, 31 December 2013 at 00:45:51 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I really think the built-in new should be discouraged - it has a lot of disadvantages over using a library setup, and not many advantages.

A flexible new and good compiler level memory management support that cannot be overridden gives the compiler some optimization opportunities. E.g. putting objects on the stack, allocating a single chunk for multiple objects, delaying init and perhaps avoiding allocation.

So I am personally sceptical of pushing libraries over advanced compiler support. Leaving more room for analysis is usually a good thing. The issue I have with library level allocation is that the compiler does not know that the code is doing allocation?