On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 15:56:18 -0800, finalpatch <fen...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 January 2014 at 23:29:59 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
Even with a full port of 2.4 to D it would still fall under the BSD 3-Clause license which is not Boost compliant IIRC. So it will never end up in Phobos. If I am missing something let me know, because a Phobos Software Renderer is a good idea.

Hi Adam,

We don't necessarily have to port AGG to D. Instead, I suggest we produce something that resembles its design (a set of very flexible components that can be put together through template instantiation at compile time), but in idiomatic D. With the power of D, the group wisdom of the community, and the lessons learned from AGG and other prior projects, it's very possible we can produce something even more impressive than AGG. Since it's a pure software renderer, the scope of the project will be a lot more manageable than GPU based solutions.

Well, actually software renderers are terribly complicated beasts and so probably wouldn't reduce the actual scope. And they require a lot of mathematical knowledge that can be hard to come by, I certainly don't have it. So if someone is willing to start writing one in D we'd be happy to include support for it in Aurora. But I think we should continue with the GPU based solutions because they are easier to work with and the knowledge-base is more extensive.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender