10-Feb-2014 04:59, Walter Bright пишет:
On 2/9/2014 12:43 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

1. I guess there is a distinctive quality to a buffer (i.e. it's not
just any
output range). The current interface looks quite arbitrary - is 'pop'
required
for any buffer?

No, pop isn't required.

Then some canonical picture of what *any* Buffer is would be nice. I'm having a bit of deja vu with this discussion :)

A trait like isBuffer is in order, to allow user code to target
any buffers including non-Phobos ones.

I don't understand the point of this suggestion.

If buffer is just an output range and 'put' is enough to model it, then fine. But see also recent thread on output ranges:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/atfdzzxutxnduavvz...@forum.dlang.org#post-atfdzzxutxnduavvzvww:40forum.dlang.org

It could be useful to define a more broad interface as a superset of output ranges.

2. May need buffer.package.d to import all common buffers (there is
only one
now, but with time...).

I do not like the idea of "kitchen sink" importing. The package.d thing
was designed so that we can split up the existing kitchen sink modules
without breaking user code.

Okay.

--
Dmitry Olshansky