On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:31:44 -0400, bossfong <bossf...@posteo.de> wrote:

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 12:34:10 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
You can use NNTP and a competent newsreader, I suggest opera mail.

Having to install a new program on my computer just to read D news is not really an option to me and possibly many newcomers.

I'm not suggesting you do, what I'm saying is, the mailing-list interface is not the only non-web one, and it's a very good interface. What my quote was in reply to was when you said "I'm really baffled by by [sic] how much discussion in the developers scene is done in mailing lists." NNTP is most definitely not a mailing list (and in fact, it was NNTP before it was a ML).

In any case, I don't have a problem with D forums providing web access, just as long as it doesn't remove my NNTP interface.

The only thing extra it provides is voting. We could potentially add voting to the forum software, but I won't use it, since I use NNTP.

That would be great, but as you said, people like you won't be able to see it, which somewhat defeats its purpose.

Why? If I don't care who votes for what, why should that make any difference to someone who does care and uses the web interface?

Note that I use the web interface from time to time for posting links to old discussions and for reading old discussions others have posted.

-Steve