On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 18:30:37 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:

I don't see anything from that which would make it better for heated discussion. A discussion is just a thread of replies.

"A discussion is just a thread of replies" is wrong I believe. Discussions often evolve and diverge, whilst threads have a static title and topic. I see sometimes people split discussions by starting a new thread, which is a really good step, but it happens too seldomly. The forums threaded view works quite well though, so that wouldn't be something I would complain about. The threaded view took some time getting used to though.

Votes are probably the only thing missing because they eliminate the need for "+1" posts.

I agree. (see, how again some button would have been nice)