On 3/14/14, 2:12 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Friday, 14 March 2014 at 09:03:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
As of this very moment, my NNTP client (Thunderbird) shows there are 5
messages unread in the left treeview (http://imgur.com/KHnjcnU), and
displays in a simple list all 223871 messages ever posted in
digitalmars.D with the most recent 5 messages at the top and in bold
text (http://imgur.com/uJ2UdzA). As I select each of those unread
messages, their bold disappears (they become read). If I get bored and
want to mark all news as read, there's a button that does that (or I
could select some and mark as read etc).

I use threaded views for e.g. github discussions because once a pull
is merged, I archive them all in one shot. But a flat view is a very
simple and effective way of staying abreast of what's going on in the
forum. Again, I feel I'm missing something given that I'm the only one
asking for such.

In the horizontal-split mode, you can press the space bar to jump to the
next unread message. Does that help? Or is it imperative that messages
are displayed chronologically, without threading?

Nothing is really imperative; I'm not asking for features here as much as pointing out what my patterns are. The horizontal split view is pretty nice, I'll use it whenever I don't have my mail client with me. I could probably get used to it but I prefer a flat view.

Unfortunately there's currently no way to mark all messages in a group
as read (a technical restriction due to how read messages are stored).

I seldom use that feature anyway so it doesn't matter.