On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 09:41:43 UTC, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 09:27 +0000, John Colvin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
As with all these things, YMMV; there are many large, successful Python projects.

I think this is a crucially important thing to remember: YMMV.

This is not a black and white, D or Python. Different organization and projects will have different metrics for choice, meaning that Python, D, Go, C++, Java, Groovy, etc. all have valuable roles in the world. Choice of programming language is about making the least worst choice in a
given context.

The fact that I am rewriting a Python + GTK project in D + GtkD does not mean I now no longer use Python, it is that the context has changed,
making a change of language appropriate.

Although I stick by the YMMV, I use python 3 several hours a day and it's caused me no end of pain with very little gain. If it wasn't for pandas and (I shudder to say it) matplotlib, I really wouldn't have any reason to stay.

What features does python, as a language (syntactical preferences aside), actually have to recommend it over D (assuming drepl* or similar became full-featured)? This is definitely not a rhetorical question, it could be useful to D development.

* http://drepl.dawg.eu/ and https://github.com/MartinNowak/drepl