On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 09:42:48PM +0000, Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 21:02:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> >On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 19:46:18 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
> >>I agree, it may be a happy accident that a shape that was meant to
> >>be part of the glossy sheen on the image got interpreted as the
> >>distant Martian horizon, but the D and moons look unbalanced without
> >>it.
> >
> >Yep, I think it is a reflection, but used to balance the image. If
> >you look at the other designs by Martin on his d-logo page it is kind
> >of revealing.
> >
> >I also think you can ignore the importance of the background colour.
> >The white D and cirlcle(s) have a pretty strong visual impact. Take a
> >look at these variations:
> >
> >http://d.progdocu.appspot.com/test1
> >
> >I think they are all easily recognizable.

I have to admit that only the first one, and perhaps the second one, is
recognizable to me. The ones with black don't register in my brain
unless I consciously look for the D logo in them.

> >Besides, you should be able to represent the logo in monochrome for
> >print.  (E.g. light on dark background)
>
> Oh those all look good, personally I like the first one the best. I
> agree that the horizon/sheen is not necessary, I never even saw it as
> a horizon until it was brought up.

Actually, I have a hard time recognizing the logo without the horizon /
sheen. I'm not sure if this is bias caused by prior interpretation, but
none of the black & white variations make me associate them with the
current D logo.

Let's not fight disease by killing the patient. -- Sean 'Shaleh' Perry