On Monday, 15 December 2014 at 20:40:29 UTC, evenex wrote:
This is just my $0.02, not to ask for anything specific, but to add to the cross-section of perspectives on this topic, to whom it may concern:

A colleague and I are writing a framework for building and managing complex simulations and chose to implement in D for the modeling power that the template system brings, which allows us to make an expressive and fairly performant API that is also flexible and easily refactored thanks to static assert and unittest...

But we keep getting hamstrung by bugs; hitting compiler segfaults during template metaprogramming is a very common occurrence, and sometimes UFCS fails. We continue to make progress but lose a lot of time finding workarounds for apparently valid but noncompiling code. We are hoping that with the increased interest in D lately, the implementation will stabilize, but we are nervous about the long-term prospects.

This is a risk we knowingly undertake in exchange for the aforementioned advantages. A lot of cool stuff is possible with D that we can't do in other languages but I constantly work with the fear that we'll stumble upon some compiler bug in 6 months time that we can't find a way around. (I originally tried to write this system in C++ and I dread the idea of returning to it.)

I can understand all of the above. I'm in a similar situation. Fortunately, I've always been able to find a workaround - so far.

One of our target use-cases is gaming, and to this end we hope that the difficulty we've had in getting D environments working in Windows will be alleviated soon so that we can confidently target that platform.

As typical college students (I am a senior, partner is recent grad) we can't afford to put up bounties or contract anyone but we put up bug reports when we can (this will be easier when dub dustmite functionality is fully implemented) and can poke around at dmd in gdb in the hopes of getting some useful info to the contributors (I have very little knowledge of compilers, though I have been gleaning details from running dmd in gdb. I'm not yet at the point where I can attempt my own fixes, though I hold out hope that some things will click soon and I can make a more active contribution effort).

We're willing to invest in D, in whatever way we can, and hope to someday (sooner rather than later) add ourselves to the list of D success stories.

But, our success depends on a stable, multi-platform implementation. So we are open to ways on how we might improve D more proactively. Right now we are developing on dmd git head (for the latest fixes) but would like to transition to ldc (for the optimization) as we solidify our design.