On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 11:16:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/19/2014 2:47 AM, Sergei Nosov wrote:
The probable solution to this is to attract some "good" programmers to point out and work on the aforementioned issues - site, documentation, tooling, etc. But I'm not sure it's possible to do this for D with volunteer efforts.

Sure it's possible - but the issues have to be specific. "Need more examples", for example (!), is nice but not helpful to anyone trying to improve the documentation. Saying "I need an example for std.foo.bar()" is an actionable item.

I'm afraid, the answer to this specific question is - "Every function needs an example". Consider, e.g. http://en.cppreference.com/w/ or http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/ It's hard to find a function that doesn't have a usage example.

Granted, the mentioned references are most likely volunteer effort (are they?). But it took C++ something like 20 years and a wide corporate adoption for that to happen.

I guess, it took less time for other languages, like Python or Ruby, but that's, probably, because those languages looked really interesting and fun at their times. So they attracted a lot of "good" programmers.

D poses itself as a more serious language (at least it's how it looks like). And, probably, nobody will say that it's bad. But, as a consequence, it makes it less attractive to "good" programmers. Especially now, when there's lot of successful "toy" languages. D is not "flashy" enough these days.