dsimcha wrote:
Started playing w/ the implementation a little and I see a problem.  What about
the garbage collector?  There are two possibilities:
[snip]
The only possible solutions I see would be to have the GC know everything about
the LRU cache and evict stale entries (probably slows down GC a lot, a huge PITA
to implement, couples things that shouldn't be tightly coupled), or clear the
cache every time GC is run (probably would make appending so slow as to defeat
the
purpose of having the cache).

I think GC.collect may simply evict the entire cache. The collection cycle costs so much, the marginal cost of losing cached information is lost in the noise.