On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:14:52 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
This is a very good idea. Incidentally, you only need the upper bound location, the beginning location is irrelevant, since you don't grow down.

Awesome, didn't think of that. So now more cases are caught:

auto a = new int[100];
a ~= 42;
a = a[50 .. $];
a ~= 52;

That wouldn't have worked with my original suggestion, but it does work safely with yours.

It was one of the coolest parts of my original proposal :) http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=63146

But using a cache solves a lot of the problems I didn't.

What do you do in the case where the memory was recycled? Does a GC collection cycle clean out the cache as well?

As you saw, there was some discussion about that as well.

Yeah, I'm reading in thread order :) Still got 91 unread messages, so maybe I'll read all before replying again...

-Steve