On 10/06/2015 02:21 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Mon, 2015-10-05 at 14:21 -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
GNOME3? I'm surprised to hear that. My (perhaps inaccurate)
understanding was that it landed with quite a thud and alienated a
lot
of its userbase (and even many of it's developers), moreso than the
early days of KDE4 did. And I've never personally known anyone who
did
use GNOME3 (to my knowledge), so I figured it had become very much
fringe.

Your understanding is indeed inaccurate. Yes there was a huge kerfuffle
when the GNOME2 → GNOME3 thing happened. Many very vocal people
screamed that the GNOME people were a bunch of w###### and all that
sort of stuff. Many GNOME2 users abandoned GNOME and rewrote GNOME2.
Many people though got over the marketing (and other) stupidity of the
GNOME developers, and actually tried the revolutionary GNOME3 and liked
it.

Fair enough. Of course that doesn't account for *all* those who were unhappy with GNOME3 (but I know you're not implying it does): My dislike of GNOME3 *is* from after trying it first. Just seemed wacky to me, and I didn't feel much point in bothering to adjust to it, what with all the other alternatives out there.

Actually didn't mind GNOME2 *too* much back at the time: My main beefs with GNOME2 were just the overly-padded GTK widgets/rendering and it seemed to be going for more of an OSX experience for my tastes (Plus I never really liked the Nautilus-based file managers: Like Finder, they just make me feel like my hands are tied behind my back).

I know I went to XFCE but couldn't make it work.

Y'know, I've always had a fair amount of respect for XFCE, but their big problem has always been polish. It's always had a lot of promise and potential, and I still respect it for that. But it's been in strong need of a big heavy dose of polish for a looong time.

(Ex: Just try adjusting the taskbar. And then go back and see how slick, intuitive and "just works" MS (go figure!) managed to make taskbar adjusting a full twenty years ago, back in Win95. Even KDE still hasn't managed to match that either, although it's still way ahead of XFCE in that regard).

This does not excuse some of the appalling behaviours of the GNOME
developers, some of which continue to happen. This is sad.

Yea, :( They've even lost major developers over some of it, AIUI. It's too bad. Gnome may not be my cup of tea, but its community does deserve better.

[…]
Wait, is there a distinction between "wx" and "wxWidgets"?

No, just bad phrasing on my part.

And wxWidgets is the old wxWindows.

Ahh, ok.